Banner image for Metal Digest - Advertise With Us

Devil’s Witches – ‘In All Her Forms’

Publisher
Majestic Mountain Records
FFO
Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Acid King, Belzebong, Salem's Pot, Mountain Witch
Release Date
28/10/2022
Publisher
Majestic Mountain Records
Genre
Stoner/Doom/Psychedelic Rock

If you can imagine for a moment, an alternate universe where Beck Hanson was a founder member of Fatso Jetson, took very different drugs, and didn’t dick around on stage with dwarves? That would be an analogy for “In All Her Forms” around 60% accurate. The remaining 40% is mainly desert sunstroke and Vicodin.

Devil’s Witches are something of an enigma, last time out they gave us “Guns, Drugs and Filthy Pictures”, just two tracks long, but a perfect example of how their musical character can be most kindly described as schizophrenic. Maybe more correctly as totally unhinged. Make no mistake, the musicianship and writing are great; just be prepared for the next song to be a complete oblique turn in a very different direction. Expect the unexpected at all points. (Also, the video below is deeply NSFW!).

“In All Her Forms” is most easily considered as four EPs along a narrative. Making the most sense on vinyl (where each side is one three track EP) the common narrative is the “ages” of womanhood; Maiden, Mistress, Mother, and Matriarch. It may also make more sense to listen as four distinct pieces, as 12 tracks of mainly heavy Stoner/Psych interspersed with vicious swerves “off piste” can frankly be a bit too much in one go. The best moments are the deepest and dirtiest psyched-out cuts where the band just let it all hang out and blaze through the groove; you can almost smell the Marlboro Red haze drifting over the 1970’s porno film set. Highlights to look out for are “Space Age Sorceress” and album-closing “Hymn for the Supervixen”.

"this is the “outer reaches” for the Stoner devotee"
70

Come on in!

Metal Digest is an online music magazine specializing in rock and metal. It is aimed at the mobile market, who can get their fix whilst on the go. Whether you walk, drive, fly, sail or teleport make sure you do it with Metal Digest, bitesize heavy metal rock and metal news, reviews and interviews for when you’re on the go.

More Stories
EIGHT BELLS reveal details of and video single taken from new album